General Purpose Thread

Fanfan

Re: General Purpose Thread

Message par Fanfan » mer. 31 mars 2010, 21:54

Tarbaby a écrit :The first time I ever heard that Waltz was on a Chet Atkins record that my father had. I was a young child at the time, and was fascinated by that record! It also had "Adelita" on it. That was the first time I heard that piece, too!
And the first time I heard Barrios' Choro da Saudade was on Chet's Solo Flights album ! It was Marcel Dadi who made us Frenchies discover Mr Guitar thanks to his cover versions and tab transcriptions published in a rock mag from the 70s on..
Nous irons tous
Jouer du luth
Au grand couscous
De Belzébuth

Brigitte Fontaine

Tarbaby

Message par Tarbaby » ven. 02 avril 2010, 07:15

Fanfan a écrit :And the first time I heard Barrios' Choro da Saudade was on Chet's Solo Flights album !
Wow! He could play THAT?!?!

I knew a violinist who played in the orchestra on one of his recordings. She said he was a very quiet, humble man, almost self-effacing.

One day, my childhood best friend was visiting and heard a guitar in the next room. When he went in, he saw that it was my father playing. He said, "Oh! That was you? I thought it was Chet Atkins!"

From then on, he always called my father "Chet". :lol:

Alan

eales

Message par eales » mar. 06 avril 2010, 01:04

Hello everyone

I'm studying french [also music] at a level which demands the ownership of a En/Fr dictionary that I can scarcely lift - [and I still have my old Petit-Robert fr/fr one so if anyone needs anything.....

Nice to see familiar 'faces' here - I haven't been around for ages and it makes sense at the moment to combine the two disciplines so I have defected at least temporarily :lol:

à bientôt

xxx

Luisa

Tarbaby

Message par Tarbaby » mar. 06 avril 2010, 03:23

Hi Luisa! It's always a pleasure to see you. :D

Do you use Fire Fox? If so, Vito told me about an add-on translator that's very easy to use. You just highlight what you want to translate and click on it. You don't even have to cut and paste. (It's alot lighter than your dictionary, too). :wink:

Like all translators, it's seldom correct. Geoff always has to re-translate my messages to Mssr. Delcamp, because they end up not making sense. :oops:

I sent a PM to one of the moderators on the Italian forum, with a disclaimer that I was using a translator. When he wrote back, he said "I am using a translator, too. Confusion fish."

:lol:

See you around!

Alan

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » mer. 07 avril 2010, 11:42

Hi Luisa,
eales a écrit : a En/Fr dictionary that I can scarcely lift
Harrap's, right? :wink: Let's you develop your French and your biceps at the same time. :lol:

Nice to bump into you here! :D

Geoff

eales

Message par eales » mer. 07 avril 2010, 13:01

Nah, the Collins Robert - same size :?

...but wonderful! :okok:

GeoffB
Modérateur

Message par GeoffB » mer. 07 avril 2010, 17:19

Ah, most of my bigger French dictionaries date from over 40 years ago when I was a student, and I don't think the Collins Robert existed then, though I have a much-treasured Petit Robert. I seem to recall that Mr. Harrap had a bit of a reputation for making up words when he wasn't sure of a translation, so-called "Harrapisms", so maybe the Collins Robert is a better bet. :wink:

Geoff

pasjk

Message par pasjk » ven. 30 avril 2010, 19:22

Very glad to see all up and running again. So much quality work , advice and help from this community and Monsieur Delcamps generosity to even provide such a forum.

bukena

Message par bukena » mar. 04 mai 2010, 21:32

My May post. How is going gang?. I'm studying jazz at the moment, so my classical guitar is not happy with me. I do fondle her every day though.

b.

Tarbaby

Message par Tarbaby » mer. 05 mai 2010, 01:57

Hi bukena.

Are you doing that on a steel string? With a pick? :shock:

Good luck!

Alan

bukena

Message par bukena » mer. 05 mai 2010, 20:32

Hi Alan,

I am doing it with my strat and using hybrid picking. I've always been mainly a rocker (progrock). I just happen to LOVE baroque music and I am a gigantic fan of S. L. Weiss and J. S. Bach. I am studying jazz harmony and improvisation. Many years ago a cousin of mine (rock guitar player also... R.I.P.) told me "Bach and Weiss are great, but why don't you play your own music?". So... now I am getting ready to play my own music which is Fusion I guess... or just plain eclectic, but with a punch... lol.

Anyway... thanks for the good wishes. I'll have fun at it. You do the same bro!

b.

bukena

Message par bukena » mar. 08 juin 2010, 23:42

The june post. Have a great month folks.

b.

eales

Message par eales » mer. 09 juin 2010, 00:15

Hey Bukena you should maybe do for the guitar and baroque music what Jacques Loussier did for Bach! :D

:casque: 8)

Tarbaby

Message par Tarbaby » mer. 09 juin 2010, 08:12

Hi eales!

Well, he HAS tried to do it for Weiss. Do you remember all the transcriptions he used to post? I remember when he asked me to delete most of them, because he was hoping to get them published. I guess it didn't work out that time, but he has a bulk of material that some publisher will be interested in someday. :D

I hope you are well. I forgot, are you finished with your studies?

Alan

eales

Message par eales » mer. 09 juin 2010, 11:02

Thanks Alan, sorry :oops: I haven't been in enough have I - I should have known that. I don't recall those at all.

I just got my last results today and am delighted - B2 for second year French and the same for harmony :okok: wish I could show that to the old misery that I had for harmony when I was eighteen! HA! That to you Truscott - look on my works and despair ...

ahem. . . .

well it has taken me thirty-six years but I've done it. How much difference it'll make to the family treasury remains to be seen but it's nice to have that bit more confidence at last.

:merci:

Revenir à « English »